Hello, I am Akila Subasinghe.
Welcome to my personal web page.
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTERESTS AND PROJECTS
Military and Civilian applications for automated detection and identification of security threats.
Use of Machine Learning and Image Analysis for accurate and early detection of imminent natural disasters such as Landslides and Floods.
Remote sensing applications for fetal growth tracking, Smart devices to assist medical experts in diagnosing various diseases.
Drones & UAVs
Mind-Controlled Drone development and various applications of Drones & UAVs for industrial applications
- US Patent on Centromere detector and method for determining radiation exposure from chromosome abnormalities United States 8,605,981. PCT No.:PCT/US2011/059257
- Book chapter Thrishantha Nanayakkara, Lasitha Piyathilaka, Akila Subasinghe., “Mechatronics in Landmine Detection and Removal”, Mechtronic Systems Devices, Design, Control, Operation, and Monitoring, Edited by Clarence De Silva, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL Chapter 28, 2007
- Balagalla, U. B., Samarabandu, J. & Subasinghe, A. Automated human chromosome segmentation and feature extraction: Current trends and prospects. F1000Research 11 (2022).
- Akila Subasinghe et al., “Centromere detection of human metaphase chromosome images using a candidate-based method”, F1000 Research, Volume 5, Number 1565, 2016, DOI: 10.12688/f1000research.9075.1
- Akila Subasinghe A. et al. “Intensity integrated Laplacian-based thickness measurement for detecting human metaphase chromosome centromere location”. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering (TBME), volume 60, pages 2005 – 2013, July 2013.
- Peter K. Rogan, Yanxin Li, Asanka Wickramasinghe, Akila Subasinghe, Natasha Caminsky, Wahab Khan, Jagath Samarabandu, Joan H. Knoll, Ruth Wilkins, and Farrah Flegal.”Automating dicentric chromosome detection from cytogenetic biodosimetry data”, Accepted for Journal of Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 2013.
- W. A. Khan, R. A. Chisholm, S. M. Taddayon, A. Subasinghe, J. Samarabandu, L. J. Johnston, P. R. Norton, P. K. Rogan, J. H. M. Knoll. “Relating centromeric topography in fixed human chromosomes to a-satellite DNA and CENP-B distribution”, Cytogenetics and Genome Research, volume 139, pages 234 – 242. 2013.
- Subasinghe, A. et al. Smart Stethoscope: Intelligent Respiratory Disease Prediction System in 2nd International Conference on Advanced Research in Computing (ICARC) (2022), 242–247.
- Madhubhashinee et al. Low cost Compact Webcam-based System for Biomedical Microscopic Image Analysis in IESL Young Members Section Technical Conference 2021 (2021).
- Karunanyake, K. et al. AI Based Integrated Autonomous and Mind Controlled UAV in IESL Young Members Section Technical Conference 2021 (2021).
- Umaya Bhashini Balagalla, Savansi Sivanatham, Kusala Munasinghe, Akila Subasinghe, Chamitha de Alwis, Uditha Wijewardhana, M Nishan Dharmaweera, “Efficient Medical Video Streaming by Pre-Processing and Network Traffic Prioritization in Real-Time”, International Conference on Advanced Technologies for Communications (ATC), Pages: 123-128, 2019.
- Sashika Chandrasena, Akila Subasinghe, “Intelligent System for High Resolution Computed Tomography (HRCT) Image Analysis: A concept”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Multidisciplinary Approaches (ICMA), 2017
- Akila Subasinghe, Chamitha De Alwis, “Smart Streaming of Sonography Video: A Concept”, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Multidisciplinary Approaches (ICMA), September 2015.
- Akila Subasinghe A. et al. “Intensity integrated Laplacian algorithm for human metaphase chromosome centromere detection”. In Electrical Computer Engineering (CCECE), 25th IEEE Canadian Conference on, May 2012.
- Akila Subasinghe A, Jagath Samarabandu, Joan Knoll and Peter Rogan.”Automated metaphase chromosome centromere refinement using fuzzy inference systems”. Canadian Student Conference on Biomedical Computing and Engineering (CSCBCE), 2012.
- Rajeev Ranjan, Akila Subasinghe Arachchige, Jagath Samarabandu, Peter K. Rogan and Joan Knoll. “Automatic Detection of Pale Path and Overlaps in Chromosome Images using Adaptive Search Technique and Re-thresholding”, International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications, 2012.
- Yanxin Li, Asanka Wikramasinghe, Akila Subasinghe, Jagath Samarabandu, Joan Knoll, Ruth Wilkins, Farrah Flega, and Peter Rogan. “Towards Large Scale Automated Interpretation of Cytogenetic Biodosimetry Data”, International Conference on Information and Automation for Sustainability, 2012.
- Akila Subasinghe A, Jagath Samarabandu, Joan Knoll, Wahab Khan and Peter Rogan.”Accurately extracting the centerline from human metaphase chromosomes using image processing”. Canadian Student Conference on Biomedical Computing and Engineering (CSCBCE), 2012.
- Akila Subasinghe A. et al. “An image processing algorithm for accurate extraction of the centerline from human metaphase chromosomes”. In International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), September 2010.
- Akila Subasinghe A. et al. “An accurate image processing algorithm for detecting fish probe locations relative to chromosome landmarks on DAPI stained metaphase chromosome images”. In Seventh Canadian Conference on Computer and Robot Vision (CRV), May 2010.
- Nanayakkara, T. Piyathilaka, J.M.L.C. Siriwardana, A.P. Subasinghe, S.A.A.M., Jamshidi, M., “Orchestration of Advanced Motor Skills in a Group of Humans through an Elitist Visual Feedback Mechanism for System of Systems Engineering”, 2007. SoSE ’07.
Senior Lecturer 2015 — to date
Faculty of Engineering, University of Sri Jayewardenepura Sri Lanka
- A founding member of the academic staff of the Faculty of Engineering. Worked towards the establishment of the Faculty.
Dean 2016 — 2019
Faculty of Engineering, University of Sri Jayewardenepura Sri Lanka
- Served as the Founder Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, working towards the development of the academic program of the faculty. Was recognised as the youngest Dean of Faculty of Engineering in the country.
Teaching/Research Assistant 2008 — 2014
Faculty of Engineering, Western University Canada
- Served as a Teaching/Research Assistant (TA & RA) for the duration of my postgraduate studies, assisting in various teaching and research-based activities.
Lecturer (Contract) 2008
Faculty of Engineering, University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka
- Served as a Lecturer on Contract basis for the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
Network & Software engineer 2007 — 2008
CleanCo Lanka (pvt) Ltd. Sri Lanka
- As the first Engineer recruited for the company, I was instrumental in setting up the systems and infrastructure for the nationwide operation of the vehicular emission testing centers.
• Served as a member in the Sectoral Oversight Committee on Education and Human Resources Development. This committee was mandated to develop the Sri Lanka National Policy on Artificial Intelligence (AI).
• Serving as a Cabinet Appointed Technical Evaluation Committee member, in the Development of a Building Complex, for the Faculty of Engineering, University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
• Serving as a member of the Sectoral committee on Electric Cables and Conductors (SC/19) hosted by the Sri Lanka Standards Institution (SLSI)
• Served as an external reviewer for the degree programme, “Biomedical Instrumentation Technology”, Faculty of Technology, General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University (KDU).
• Serving as a member of the Technical Working Commitee for the implimentation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR) under Disaster Management Center (DMC)
• Served as an “External Examiner” for the academic year 2022 at the Faculty of Technology, General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University (KDU)”
• Served as an Honourable Advisory Committee Member: International Conference on Emerging Electrical Systems and Control (ICEESC-2021), India.
• Served as an International Advisory Committee member for the International Conference on Advances in Science, Engineering and Technology (ICASET 2021), Puduchrry, India.
• Served as a member of the Judge Panel for the “Sahasak Nimawum 2018” exhibition for inventors organized by the Inventors Commission, Sri Lanka
• Served as a member of the Judge Panel for the “NewTech 2015” organized by Sri Jinarathana Vocational Technical Training Center.
- Founder Dean – Faculty of Engineering (2016-2019)
- Chairman – Research Committee of the Faculty of Engineering (RCFE) – 2019 onward
- Member – Steering Committee – Center for Defence Research and Development (CDRD)
- Treasurer – IEEE EMBS – 2022
- Member – SLSI – 2022
- Member – University Corperate Planning Committee – 2020 onwards
- Student Councellor – 2022
- Deputy Director (Student Welfare) – 2022
Get in touch
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering,
University of Sri Jayewardenepura,
Email : akila [at] sjp.ac.lk
Contact Number : +94 112 758000 ext 7373